Friday 11 April 2014

How Army Colonel Was Killed, Burnt In Maiduguri


Boko Haram insurgents on Monday killed a military commander, Col. Kabiru Salisu and an unknown number of soldiers inside an Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC) after they used superior firepower to burn the APC with the soldiers inside.


Though the Military did not confirm the incident, Salisu's close friends confirmed it on social media.

Ordinarily, the APCs are believed to be one of the most effective protectors of soldiers during battles, but in this case, it became a disappointment for them.

Nigerians had lamented weeks ago that most of the military equipment are obsolete, having been bought since the period of former President Shehu Shagari.

According to Rebsy, the late colonel’s friend, the news was shocking, as the military commander died leaving a wife and two children.

“I never believed I was (if ever) going to be writing a tribute to you my friend, at least not so soon”, he wrote

“I remember our first meeting in Sokoto when you came for training as an instructor with some group of soldiers and Ataks (as you fondly referred to him).

“I was asked to vacate the house by my guardian, so you could stay in the house.  You came in at night, so I didn’t get to see your face properly because it was dark. I was told that you were a Lt. Col then.

“I had to even cook for you that night, but guess what? When I came in the morning to get the plates, I discovered that you didn’t even touch your food. I was mad! You apologised, gave me the keys so I could get some water and tidy the house.

“I felt sad leaving my comfort zone for corpers’ lodge. I was surprised to see such a young Lt Col. You only smiled and said: thanks’. You requested for my pin and I gladly gave you. Days rolled by and we became friends that even got tongues wagging but we didn’t care.

“Finally, your training came to an end and you left for Jaji, but that didn’t deter our friendship. I remember a whole lot of things we did together. Remember that Akpos jokes that got us reeling with laughter like fools and many others? You were such a great father to your kids and a wonderful husband to your wife.

“I was glad when you told me about your promotion to the rank of a Colonel just before your birthday in November. I was proud of you! I told you that and you asked me to pray for you for a good posting and said: ‘Becks, you won’t regret knowing me’.

Rebsy also recalled their brief meeting in February by the filling station, where he gave the late colonel a book as drove off for his lectures and promised that they would see soon.

"I was so busy that I postponed my visit to Jaji. Weeks later, you dropped the bombshell: you’ve been posted to Maiduguri and I screamed, but you assured me that all will be fine. I promised seeing you before you leave but I didn’t.

“The pressure was so much that you were asked to leave earlier than scheduled. On your way to Maiduguri from Yola, you were ambushed but nothing happened to you.

“Two nights ago, I prayed for you and even mentioned your name not knowing you were lying dead in the bush. Oh death, why? We sure will miss you: your wife, family, your kids (Kariri and Bubu) will surely miss you. Rest on gallant soldier, you didn’t die in vain. You ‘served with pride’. Rest on Col Kabir Salisu. My friend and mentor”.


Source: huhuonline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment